What happened to Yeardley Love? Hulu’s ‘Death in the Dorms’ victim who was beaten to death in her apartment

Who was Yeardley Love?

Yeardley Love was born in Baltimore, Maryland. She was a member of the varsity lacrosse and field hockey teams all four years of high school and was later admitted to the University of Virginia (UVA), where she majored in Political Science and minored in Spanish.

Yeardley Love met George Wesley Hugely in their freshman year and were often seen hanging out together with their teammates. They had been dating for more than two years by the time of Spring 2010, just before her murder.

It was George’s aggressive behaviour, triggered by alcohol, that caused their relationship to be on and off. In 2009, George attacked a teammate after hearing that he had kissed Yeardley. Before her murder, George sent threatening text messages and emails to Yeardley.

How did Yeardley Love die?

On May 3rd 2010, Charlottesville police were called to Yeardley’s apartment where she was found unresponsive and was pronounced dead. According to the 911 call from her roommate, it was alleged that Yeardley had suffered an alcohol overdose. However, detectives noticed “obvious physical injuries to her body” and suspected her ex-boyfriend, George Huguely who lived next door. George and Yeardley dated for two years but had broken up at the time of her murder.

George later narrated graphic details of him assaulting Yeardley. George claims to have kicked open her locked bedroom door and to have “shaken Yeardley as her head repeatedly hit the wall. Furthermore, police seized two Apple laptops, a spiral notebook, two white socks, bathroom and entryway rugs, and a Virginia lacrosse shirt with a red stain.

Investigators also stated that George and Yeardly shared a violent relationship with George sending threatening emails and text messages after their breakup. More witness testimonies reported former violent encounters between the couple as well as an incident from the past in which George attacked Yeardley while drunk.

Where is George Wesley Huguely V now?

On May 4, 2010, George was charged with murdering Yeardley and was held in the Albemarle-Charlottesville Regional Jail. In 2012, he was convicted of second-degree murder and sentenced to serve 23 years and one year for the grand larceny conviction to run concurrently.

On April 26, 2012, Sharon Love – Yeardley’s mother filed a wrongful death lawsuit against George, asking for $29.45 million in compensatory damages and $1 million in punitive damages.

She also filed a $29.45 million wrongful death lawsuit against UVA, men’s lacrosse head coach Dom Starsia, associate head coach Marc Van Arsdale, and UVA director of athletics Craig Littlepage, alleging gross negligence on the part of the coaching staff. This suit was later dropped.

The wrongful death suit against George was delayed and eventually dismissed in 2018. The Love family refiled its suit against George in 2018. On May 2, 2022, a jury found George liable and awarded $15 million in compensatory damages, split evenly between Sharon Love and Yeardley’s sister, Lexie Love-Hodges.

What do you think of Yeardley Love’s case? Let us know in the comments below.

Leave a comment