What happened to Gary Pocock? | The Murder Victim featured in A Killer Makes a Call

What happened to Gary Pocock?

The crime documentary series A Killer Makes A Call, shines a sinister spotlight on those killers who were arrested after making a 999 call.

Episode 6 of the series focuses on a man named Mark Terry who called the police after his friend Gary Pocock was found dead on the beach. As it turned out, it was Mark and three others who were responsible for Gary’s death.

In this article, we briefly outline this true crime case and ask the question: What happened to Gary Pocock?

What happened to Gary Pocock?

In the early hours of August 7, 2013, Gary Pocock was kicked and beaten to death on a beach while on holiday at Leysdown in Kent.

Gary was so badly disfigured in the attack that the only way he could be identified was by the distinctive silver signet ring that was found near his body. 

The police appealed for information from anybody able to help them solve the crime. One of the first people to call the police was Mark Terry who recognized the ring and suspected the body belonged to his friend Gary.

In a BBC interview at the spot where the attack took place, Mark and his son Matthew told the reporter how upset they were over their friend’s death.

As it turned out, Mark, 44 and Matthew, 21, were two of the four people responsible for Gary’s murder. They killed Gary alongside their friend 21-year-old Christopher Bones and a 16-year-old Islander named Ritchie Zborowski. 

They lured Gary to the deserted beach and hit him with such force that one of the baseball bats they used snapped in half. They then dragged Gary’s lifeless body into the sea hoping it would be carried out in the water. However, Gary’s corpse washed up the next day and was found by a metal detectorist.

What happened to the killers?

After trawling through hours of CCTV footage, the police were able to identify Gary’s killers. Part of the footage featured Christopher Bones cheering as he left the scene of the crime. 

At a ten-week trial at Maidstone Crown Court in 2014, the court heard how the men lured Gary to the beach because of unconfirmed rumours that he had sexually assaulted a teenage girl. They then meted out their own form of punishment on the man who thought they were his friends. 

Mark Terry, his son Matthew, Christopher Bones, and Ritchie Zborowski were all jailed for life after being charged with murder. 

Judge Carey told Mark Terry he would serve a minimum of 26 years, Matthew Terry at least 19 years, Christopher Bones at least 18 years and Ritchie Zborowski at least 13 years.

Another man, 19-year-old Jaime West, was convicted of manslaughter and given 7 years in youth custody, because he supplied the baseball bats used to attack Gary.

More information about Gary’s tragic death and videos of the CCTV footage that helped to identify his killers can be found at Kent Online


Read More: Where is Lewis Daynes now?

What do you think of this case? Let us know in the comments below.